Exempt organizations can use either the traditional paper filing method or electronic filing
method to submit their nonprofit tax form 990 information return to the IRS.
Filing a 990 return with paper forms is the usual way of providing information to the IRS. The significant drawbacks with the traditional paper filing include the time it takes preparing the form with all the necessary documents showing expenses and revenues, completing and attaching required schedules, and mailing the forms to the IRS which many consider as a risky and time-consuming process.
Electronic filing, or e-filing, is the most preferred method by both organizations and tax professionals to submit IRS Form 990. With e-filing, the IRS process returns much faster, and it's easy to prepare forms with less time and effort. Tax information is more secure when transmitting via an e-file system than with postal mailings. And the IRS also suggests electronic filing as the preferable method.
Using the IRS-Authorized E-File Provider, ExpressTaxExempt, for the Tax Form 990 Series
Our straightforward, step-by-step process helps tax-exempt organizations complete their 990 filing quickly. With a single account, ExpressTaxExempt allows you to file 990 returns for an unlimited number of nonprofit groups. It's always free to start with ExpressTaxExempt, and you only pay when you're ready to transmit to the IRS.
How to E-file Tax 990 Form with ExpressTaxExempt
E-filing makes submitting tax 990 forms simple than ever before. You can now quickly prepare e-file Form 990 without much assistance with our simple step-by-step, interview-style process.
Register for a free account with ExpressTaxExempt to get started. If you are a returning user, you can just sign in to begin
your Tax 990.
Add Basic Organization Details
Enter the basic information about your organization including name, employer identification number (EIN), and address. And then choose the tax 990
form to file.
Complete Form Interview Section
Answer simple questions regarding your organization's revenue, expenses, and other required information through our interview-style, form
Review Form Summary & Transmit
Check your organization's summary for any errors with our built-in audit scan. Afterward, you can pay and transmit the return to the IRS.
Schedules for Form 990
Schedules are auto-generated and also available for FREE while filing Nonprofit tax Form with ExpressTaxExempt
- Form 990 has additional information forms called schedules, which need to get filed along with each 990 return. There were 16 schedules in total, the organization should file the right schedules based on their activities.
- ExpressTaxExempt supports most of the schedules of Form 990. This can be auto-generated depending on the information provided during the interview process.
- ExpressTaxExempt simplifies the process and helps to choose the correct schedules.
- Once you complete filling your details , you can check and then make a payment to transmit the return to the IRS electronically.
- visit, https://www.expresstaxexempt.com/form-990-schedules/ to know more information about the 990 schedules.
Get More Time to E-fileTax 990 - Apply for a Tax Extension
ExpressTaxExempt also allows you to extend your filing deadline. Extension Form 8868 is for tax-exempt organizations needing to request an automatic 6-month extension. You can extend your IRS Form 990 deadline by 6 months in minutes.